Thursday, June 5, 2008

BYU Plays Carnegie Hall

Our first concert at Carnegie Hall, featuring the BYU Chamber Orchestra, was to a packed house of New York Latter-day Saints and international diplomats from many nations. We took this picture from our box just before we learned that we aren't to take pictures! My favorite work was Copeland's Appalachian Spring. I had a hard time staying in my seat, and wanted to get up and swish my skirt a little! I also like the familiar Shaker hymn"Simple Gifts," which Copeland infused into the piece. Chas enjoyed Gioachino Rossini's Overture to La gazza ladra, featuring the stereophonic snare drums. We remember hearing it at an Italian concert we attended in a park when we were in Venice one summer. It was a lovely evening at an incredible place.

No comments: